November 2017 is Foundation Month!
Foundation Month, a time designated by the Texas Retired Teachers Association (TRTA) Board of Directors to honor its charitable partner organization, the Texas Retired Teachers Foundation (TRTF), is here!
The purpose of Foundation Month is to raise funds for TRTF’s charitable programs and increase awareness of the Foundation among members of TRTA.
Last year, TRTF raised $77,000 in donations during Foundation Month! This year’s goal is $100,000!
Read Tim Lee's Inside Line update about TRTF and view a video with TRTF President Jamie Larson by clicking here!
How You Can Help!
TRTF is asking all TRTA districts and local units to participate in Foundation Month 2017 by sharing talking points at meetings as well as raising donations for the Foundation. Get some great fundraising ideas by clicking here!
TRTF's 2017-18 Goals!
The Foundation’s 2017-18 goals include several program expansions:
- TRTF will provide 15 $750 Beginning Teacher Scholarships to recent college graduates who will be teaching for the first time in 2018. This is an increase from the 10 scholarships awarded in 2017 (the first ten awards were given during the TRTA Convention in 2017). This program replaced the student scholarship program in 2017.
- TRTF will provide 30 $500 Classroom Assistance Grants to public school teachers in Texas in 2018. This is an increase from the 15 grants awarded in 2017.
- Applications for the Beginning Teacher Scholarship program and the Classroom Assistance Grant program are available on the TRTF website (trtf.org) and are due to the TRTF office, in full, no later than 5:00 p.m. on March 15, 2018.
- TRTF will provide $17,500 in grants to retirees in critical need through the “A Helping Hand” program in 2018. More funds may be designated for “A Helping Hand” as individuals impacted by Hurricane Harvey begin applying for the program.
- TRTF will continue to raise funds for the Lehr-Pritchard Endowment Fund, which began in 2016 in honor of the 25th anniversary of the CPI Catch-Up Plan, led in part by former TRTA Executive Director and TRTF Trustee Mike Lehr. TRTF is asking all members of TRTA to consider donating $30 to the fund, which will be utilized to fund the “A Helping Hand” program for the foreseeable future, as we anticipate more and more retirees may be in need of assistance. The fund raised over $10,000 at the 63rd Annual TRTA Convention during the Foundation Luncheon. TRTF hopes to reach $2,000,000 in donations for this program by 2019.
- TRTF continues to raise donations for its Disaster Relief Fund to aid retired and active educators who were victims of Hurricane Harvey. So far, TRTF has given more than $130,000 to 400+ educators from this vital emergency assistance program in the form of $250 short-term grants and $1000 long-term grants.
Special Foundation Month Plans!
In November, all TRTA members will receive an annual appeal letter in the third quarter issue of The VOICE to coincide with Foundation Month. Utilizing the TRTA news bulletin to send the letter saves the Foundation thousands of dollars in printing and postage costs. This money is redirected towards Foundation programs and operating costs.
- Get a sneak peek of the Foundation article appearing in the 3rd quarter issue of The VOICE!
- Download the Foundation's 2017 Annual Appeal letter and Donation Card!
Foundation Month Video Series
The Foundation will also share a series of short videos to promote its charitable programs during Foundation Month and will share them through the Inside Line.
See the first video below:
See the second video, featuring teacher Classroom Assistance Grant recipient Matt Stricklen:
Check out some of our previous Foundation Month videos, featuring some of our many amazing program recipients!
Please join us in making this Foundation Month the most successful one ever! Thank you for your support of the Texas Retired Teachers Foundation